Joining President LaForge to talk about Erasmus+ and their experiences with the program are Dr. Gabriel Scala, Assistant Professor of English at Delta State, who taught at KUL last year, and Dr. Urszula Niewiadomska-Flis, who is visiting from KUL and taught on our campus last week.
Since 2014, DSU and John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin (KUL) in Poland have partnered to provide academic exchange opportunities for students, faculty, and staff. Here are some numbers about our partnership with both KUL and Erasmus+, the European community’s exchange program.
- In 2015, DSU hosted one faculty member and four students from KUL during a 10-day visit.
- In 2016, four students, one faculty, and one staff member from DSU went to KUL for a 10-day exchange.
- Since 2008, I have had the opportunity to be a visiting professor at KUL on five occasions, including just last year.
- In 2018, DSU and KUL completed their first Erasmus+ exchanges. Dr. Gabriel Scala, DSU professor of English, went to KUL to teach for one week, and Dr. Anna Antonowicz, KUL professor of English Studies, came to DSU to teach.
- Under the Erasmus+ program, more than 4 million people will be able to participate in learning opportunities in Europe and beyond between 2014 and 2020, including around 2 million higher education students.
In other news on campus, in honor of Black History Month, Delta State’s Quality Enhancement Plan program will present “Delta Hill Riders: African American Cowboys of the Mississippi Delta” as its February IDEA Lunch today from noon until 1 p.m. at the Capps Archives. Also, folk and pop singer and songwriter Sarah McLachlan hits the BPAC stage tomorrow night at 8 p.m. for an intimate evening of songs and storytelling.
In athletic news, the swim/dive teams compete in their conference championship meet, starting Wednesday at the Aquatics Center on campus. Baseball and softball host Union University this weekend, and men’s and women’s basketball host in-state rival Mississippi College on Saturday. For event times, check out gostatesmen.com.
To keep up with all of our news, events and activities, please visit our website at deltastate.edu.