Joining President LaForge are Shelby Irby, a senior business management major, and Ryan Hudkins, a senior accounting major.
Delta State University prepares its students not only in the classroom but also with real-world experiences through internships. Recently, Shelby Irby and Ryan Hudkins were selected as junior audit associate interns for FedEx for spring 2019. Working with staff and management on financial, operational, and information systems audits, they will prepare formal reports and conduct presentations, among other responsibilities, and, in the process, learn important skills about project management, action plans, and problem-solving. Here are some impressive numbers about FedEx internships as well as other internships.
- Two of the four FedEx internships went to Delta State students who competed against 12 other applicants from around the Southeast during on-site interviews at FedEx facilities in Memphis.
- FedEx has 400,000 worldwide team members who handle more than 12 million shipments each business day. FedEx recently awarded Delta State $500,000 for commercial aviation scholarships over the next five years.
- According to the 2017 Internship & Co-op Survey Report, 67.1 percent of internships are converted into full-time offers, and 76.4 percent of interns accept these full-time positions.
- Employers report that 65.5% of their interns, who were subsequently employed full-time at the company, still worked there at the one-year mark, compared to a 46.2% retention rate for those who did not participate in an internship.
- Since summer 2018, Delta State’s Office of Career Services has posted 62 internship opportunities.
In other news on campus, final exams are this week, culminating with Fall Commencement on Friday. Commencement will be divided into two ceremonies. The 10 a.m. ceremony will honor all graduate students and the Robert E. Smith School of Nursing undergraduate students. And at the 2 p.m. ceremony, the undergraduate students from the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business and Aviation, and College of Education and Human Sciences will be recognized.
In athletic news, Statesmen hoops will host Selma University on Saturday at 4 p.m.
To keep up with all of our news, events, and activities, please visit our website at deltastate.edu.