Joining President LaForge is Dr. Mark Emmert, president of the NCAA.
Statistics and numbers are a driving force behind sports. Earned-run average, shooting percentage, shots on goal, rushing yards, and other figures often prove a measuring stick for success. Here are some numbers about the National Collegiate Athletic Association:
- NCAA President Mark Emmert is the fifth chief executive. More about him shortly.
- There are 308 Division II universities and colleges, including Delta State.
- 52,500 athletes compete each year for 90 championships in 24 sports across 3 divisions.
- Half a million college athletes form 19,500 teams among all NCAA divisions.
- $5 million has been raised by the Student Athlete Advisory Committee for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, granting more than 600 wishes.
When President LaForge was inaugurated at Delta State in 2013, he implemented the Distinguished Speakers Lecture Series to bring highly successful individuals to campus to share their stories with our students, faculty/staff and community. Colloquia guests have included a Supreme Court justice, a U.S. poet laureate, a governor, two senators, and two Fortune 500 CEOs, among others. Our guest today is no exception to the long list of notable speakers.
In other news on campus, we have reached the midpoint for the fall semester. Good luck to our students during midterms! The new Miss Delta State University will be crowned on Thursday. The pageant will begin at 7 p.m. at the Bologna Performing Arts Center. The Wiley Planetarium will show Robot Explorers 3D on Friday at 6 p.m. Admission is $7 for adults and $5 for children younger than age 12, seniors and anyone with an Okra Card.
To keep up with all of our news, events and activities, please visit our website at deltastate.edu.